10 Ways to Prepare Your Vehicle for Winter Driving
Are you and your car prepared? If not, now is the time!
1. Have your battery and charging system checked for maximum performance. Cold weather is very hard on batteries.
If your car needs a replacement battery, stop in for a tested used battery from Premier Auto Parts in Cedar Springs. All batteries come with a 12-month replacement warranty.
2. Clean, flush, and put new antifreeze in the cooling system. As a general rule of thumb this should be done every two years
3. Make sure heaters, defrosters, and wipers work properly. Consider winter wiper blades and use cold weather washer fluid. As a general rule, wiper blades should be replaced every six months.
4. Check the tire tread depth, tire air pressure, and condition of rims. If snow and ice are a problem in your area, consider special tires designed to grip slick roads. During winter, tire pressure should be checked weekly. If you find your tires are in need of replacing, good used tires and sets of used tires at Premier Auto and Truck Parts can save you a bundle of cash. With used individual tires starting at $20 pc. and good used tire sets starting at $99.00 you can’t go wrong! If you find your used wheel is cracked or heavily corroded, consider purchasing a quality replacement used wheel from Premier Auto and Truck Parts in Cedar Springs to get you through the cold months.
5. Be diligent about changing the engine oil and filter at recommended intervals. Dirty oil can spell trouble in winter. Consider changing to “winter weight” oil if you live in a cold climate. Have your technician check the fuel, air and transmission filters at the same time. Extreme cold temperatures can cause your engine oil to flow significantly slower which can lead to catastrophic engine failure, thus the importance of fresh, clean, oil. If you find yourself in the unfortunate circumstance of needing an engine replacement before or during the winter months call Premier Auto and Truck Parts for used engines at great prices with amazing warranty options. Used engines are the way to go to save money and you can find any used engine north of Grand Rapids at Premier Auto and Truck Parts!
6. Have your transmission tuned up and inspected prior to snowfall. Winter is especially hard on used transmissions because of the additional wear and tear of wheel spin. Remember if you get stuck in the snow, DON’T SLAM THE TRANSMISSION BACK AND FORTH! You will ruin your used transmission in no time. A couple hundred-dollar tow bill from a local towing company will be inexpensive compared to having to replace your transmission. Again, if you find yourself in the unfortunate circumstance of needing a transmission replacement before or during the winter months, call Premier Auto and Truck Parts for used transmissions in Cedar Springs at great prices with amazing warranty options. Quality, guaranteed, used transmissions are the way to go to save money. You can find any used transmission near Muskegon, Grand Rapids, Sparta, Rockford, and Cedar Springs by calling Premier Auto and Truck Parts today.
7. If you’re due for a tune-up, have it done before winter sets in. Winter magnifies existing problems such as pings, hard starts, sluggish performance or rough idling.
8. Have your brakes checked – the braking system is your vehicle’s most important safety item.
9. Have your exhaust system checked for carbon monoxide leaks, which can be especially dangerous during cold weather driving when windows are closed.
10. Check to see that exterior and interior lights work and headlights are properly aimed. If you’ve been driving around with a broken or cracked headlight or taillight consider replacing it before winter. With increased driving in the dark during the winter months it’s a good idea to have all your lights fully functional. If you need a replacement, go used! Premier Auto and Truck Parts can help you with your used headlight and taillight needs as well.